Gel Nolasco

Wednesday, February 15

My Little Ty Pennington DIY Moment

I spent the last few days of 2011 and the first of 2012 bingeing, channel-surfing, sleeping, bingeing, sleeping bingeing, and sleeping a little bit more, yes I admit, those holidays gave me a period of unrestrained, immoderate self-indulgence, but hey! That's not all that's self-indulgent for me! I enjoy a period of unrestrained, immoderate creativity too! So I decided to treat my folks to a little shocker for when they got back from the vacay they were on at the time. And it was the pleasant kind of shocker, or at least, that was what I wanted it to be. 

With a plan in mind and a budget under my belt, I went to the store, only to scour its home-making aisles, tongue sticking out by the corner of my mouth. I felt rather restlessly creative, ooh-ing and ahh-ing at all the prints and combinations I could make out of curtains and rugs and candles and toothbrush holders they've got!

Actually, I did always love how our house had that fresh quality to it since everything about it was white, inside and out, with just a little detail of wood, a tad bit of floral accents to the furniture, and a feminine nautical theme for the bath. Overall it was always perfect for my taste, as I fancied the whiteness of all the white I was seeing which claimed all the natural light that always filled our house generously and thoroughly. 

That was my kind of peg for a comfortable living space. White on white. With lots of natural light. I always thought that if I had to have artificial lights they would all be clear, crystal and soft--to accent the white that was already clearer than crystal itself! As imagined, having the whole house space to work with alone to myself, I have transformed it into a home that was so bright and...so empty (I am a cleaning junkie--I was actually waiting for people to finally leave the house so I can throw out their junk without them squawking haha--a thing I fairly succeeded at) But hen I ended up with a house that almost looked like it had an Open Showing to "potential buyers"--too clean, too comfortable, in fact, that--IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE ANYONE LIVED THERE AND PEOPLE WENT THERE JUST TO LOOK AT INTERIOR PEGS. Haha :) But eh, I stuck with that setup for a little while. I have lived for days alone enjoying my own space of "White with Natural Light and Nothing Else in Sight" (dibs). But then right around the bend, I felt the need for a re-creation. You know that feeling you always got in Kindergarten once you see crayons and a white, white wall? I actually had the evil smile to go with it too. 

I was too fond of this battery-operated miniature spa fountain, I included it in our bay window setup among candles and potpourri which were meant for Christmas 


A portion of our bay window setup; the new carpet I bought for our receiving area, with the pillows that were worthy products of my picky indecisiveness; and a little glimpse of our kitchen, with a dried floral arrangement I got for 7 bucks.


This is where I invested the most purchases in. Almost everything was redone here, and it used to have that soft shade of blush or coral, and I made it over entirely, thoughtfully and down to the last detail of its color combinations. I threw almost everything out, even replaced the laundry bin and man was it hard to keep up with the nautical theme, but luckily I found some starfish and towels that went with the combination.

So, after that little trip to the store, and the little that work I did, I think it was worth the creative release. Or at least it was worth my Dad's astounded reaction that made him go, "Oh, I did I miss the Memo?!" Haha.


Good times. :)