Gel Nolasco

Friday, June 29

Flashback Friday: Playing Favorites

Time flies so fast after humpday! It was just Wednesday when I was contemplating what I was going to do for the weekend, and already, it's Friday?! Steak sauce! 

Normally, because I work long days and lengthier work weeks, going through humpday always feels like half a victory for me--in a good, resounding "we're almost there!" kind of way. It's almost like half an achievement--(aka half an entitlement to HALF-PAT yourself on the back!! Haha). This "half-achievement" means that the daily combative relationship you have with your alarm clock might soon be over. This is me. I have a love-hate relationship with the snooze button and I claim entitlement to better sleeping hours. (Well, in a perfect world.) 

Getting past the midweek means you can dreamily start your countdown to Friday and that's ALWAYS something to look forward to. And now it's finally here! "Full Achievement" up in lights! You have conquered the work week! Most people celebrate this "completion" with more than just a complete pat on the back (Ha-ha :D), and claim more entitlements than just a decent amount of snooze--To some, Fridays are SUPPOSED be celebrated with partying it up full-monty style, welcoming the weekend and considering the whole shebang as a reward for hardwork or diligence in school. But, while we appreciate the anticipation of things to come and the fun plans we have, It's equally noteworthy to look back (within the week or otherwise) to the good things we've been blessed with so far. I always say my first step to feeling happy is gratefully acknowledging life's little incentives. Looking back, here are some of mine. :)

ONE | Favorite Edible Art


Tiramisu Cup by the Honolulu Coffee Company, my all-time FAVORITE Kona Cafe. While you're at it, check out their to-die-for chef-made desserts and Macadamia Nut Latte!

TWO | Favorite Aerial Spectacle

Maui's summertime sunrise: I took several snapshots of this beautiful 'Good Morning!' greeting from God during a recent trip to Maui.

THREE | Favorite Panoramic View


The Honolulu Metropolis: This was the first-time I got to test my underwater (yes) camera for a panoramic sweep of the metro and it wasn't so bad for the price I got it for. So three cheers to that! :) Which brings me to...

FOUR | Favorite Pau Hana (Happy Hour) Drink and Drinking Spot




FIVE | Favorite Indoor Lights


I love how Tiki bars have that cozy look and balmy feel of island summer evenings. Pufferfish lanterns? Talk about an instant ambience booster.


SIX | Favorite Read

The Happiness Makeover by MJ Ryan:
Let me put it in the words of Lauren Conrad: "There’s nothing quite like spending an afternoon enthralled in a fabulous book." --and what would be more fabulous than the subject of happiness? PLUS, lately I've been working on reigniting my love for literature (yes, love is that fuzzy, excited feeling of burying your face in the smell and texture of a new book, and devouring its delicious story to bits). This past weekend I've been finding myself in a Barnes and Noble squatting spree (yes, I've been spending so much idle time squatting in their aisles and comfy corners engrossed in their books, that it might as well have been my living room.)

Work takes A LOT of my time and so therefore I really haven't had the chance to catch up with my daily dose of literature in a while. So now I'm on my little Reading Project where I decided to devote more time each month to curl up with an amazing read for pure, dorky pleasure :)

SEVEN | Favorite Shameless Splurge: Yes, shameless because being the major scrimper that I am, I was not proud of purchasing these two items on the same day, (but, i was trying to give myself two half-pats on the back for working hard all week. Haha) Anyway, I promised myself to NEVER shop half-mindedly or on an impulse again. (Yeah, right.)




EIGHT | Favorite 'do


Grecian braids (Oh so divine!--Literally. Coincidentally, the 2012 Miss Oahu Filipina is happening tomorrow evening and I am covering it for my segment on TFC.  I also got a table invite from the reigning Queen who's also a good friend of mine and she was sweet enough to include me in her relinquishment speech, so I really need to go for support and give her a lei onstage as tradition has it! That said, I might just take the extra mile in primping, which means I just might be donning this 'do to see how it works with my evening look.)


NINE | Favorite DIY Detox


This is my favourite DIY salad which I put together (thereby explaining why it has no name) when I was feeling under the weather, and in need of a little detox. (Truth is, I hate doctor visits (aka 2 hours of your life in a cold isolated room, waiting to be finally sent home) so sometimes I try to make myself feel better instead and stay home! (Kitchen trumps ER!) For the dressing I used my all-time FAVORITE dressing, next to honey mustard: the Oriental Ume Plum Dressing. Another choice would be Papaya Seed Dressing, or just plain vinaigrette, which depends really on how you want it. I normally steer clear of these because they lean more towards the tarty side rather than having a more balanced combination of flavors that actually compliment the taste of both fruit and vegetable. But that's just me. Feel free to create your own DIY too! (Tip: Honey Mustard dressing compliments the taste, juices and texture of grapes in salads)    

TEN | Favorite Cheat Treats


 
I know. I know what you're thinking, BUT! It won't really hurt to cheat a little bit after a long week of religious dieting. Sheesh capisce! We should all be well and happy! No one deserves an extremely rigorous workout and a strict diet and no time to indulge! That's just bad news! Try these DEE-LIIISH cheesecakes to make sure your one-time-pleasure-seeking palate is satisfied! For more, check out  The Cheesecake Factory's wide variety of delights. :)

ELEVEN | Favorite Quick Fix (for the occasional growling beast in your belly )

Milton's Multi-Grain Gourmet Crackers and Belgioioso's Mascarpone Cheese: Don't you just hate breakfast cravings when you have absolutely NO time to satisfy them? I came up with this combo once when I was pressed for time and couldn't sit down to eat a decent meal. It's like a quick-fix for those occasional, mild hunger pains. I love snacking. All day, everyday, even at the last minute before I go to bed (It's a shame, but that's ok if you're shameless!--that's me HAHA) Anyway, I know for a fact that portion-controlled snacking is beneficial for your digestion (see?!) as it also exercises your metabolism. I snack throughout the day particularly in the late mornings and early afternoons and this is pretty much my convenient snacking combination. I like that snacking also prevents me from bingeing in the evening, before dinner. I like adding light cheese to a snack occasionally  as the calcium in it also helps reduce body fat. There's a lot of ways to enjoy Mascarpone. It IS one of my favorite cheeses precisely because it's so versatile. Yung cheese na hindi namimili ng lasa. Haha! Parang "salingket", yung kalaro na hindi namimili ng kalaro! :) You could pair it up with a salty, sweet or even a spicy kind of snack and it never disappoints. 

TWELVE | Favorite New Word


Notice this A LOT? I do! Although I've never done this in my entire Facebook history and I know that doesn't necessarily make me a "chaste" or a non-erotic person (haha!) but rather, because of this, I am NOT able to explain it with any approval or gusto. Sorry! Why this is, has always been a matter of interest to me though.  
(source: www.urbandictionary.com)
So enjoy your favorites, reward yourself and savor your Friday cause you earned it! And remember: Your alarm clock is your friend! It makes sure you have enough hours in your paycheck! Haha!